Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Xbox 360 DVD Drive Pot Tweak

Xbox 360 DVD drive “pot” tweak

This post is going to cover the Xbox 360 DVD drive “pot” tweak and how to perform it on your Hitachi, Benq, Samsung, or Liteon Xbox 360 DVD drive.
    If you are getting:
    Unrecognized Disc Errors
    Tray open errors
    Dirty disk errors
    Your games are crashing in the middle of game play due to reading errors
    Your movies are skipping and jumping while playing
    Tweaking the Xbox 360 DVD drive laser diode potentiometer may help. This might be because the DVD drive just needs a small tweak to get the DVD laser diode potentiometer to its sweet spot. The laser diode seems to weaken with time and use. Remember to first inspect the disc thoroughly and test the disk on another console if possible, to make sure that it’s not the disk itself. You want to try all possibilities before you tweak your laser. First you will need to disassemble the Xbox 360. If it is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting Microsoft and possibly sending it in for a free repair.
    The purpose of this tweak is to expand the usable lifespan of your Xbox 360 DVD drive
    PLEASE REMEMBER: this is not a tweak that will fix issues with the game disks that have been abused and are scratched beyond recognition by the drive. Although it may help with minor scuffed disks, if game is trashed, then it is trashed!! No pot tweaking or any other thing besides replacement or resurfacing will fix it.
    DO NOT EVER lower the resistance to your laser diode if you’re not having disk read issues, as it shortens the lifespan of your laser.
    Disassemble the Xbox 360 and remove the DVD drive from the motherboard. Remove the four screws holding the case of the DVD drive together and open the DVD drive.
    If you have a Light-on or Ben-Q DVD drive, this is all the disassembly you need to do. If you have a Hitachi or Samsung DVD drive, you will need to remove the circuit board from the bottom of the DVD drive so you can access the pot dials. To do this, simply remove the two connecting ribbons, and gently pull back the tabs holding the circuit board in place. You should be able to easily remove it. Do not force it!
    You will only need two tools to perform this adjustment. These tools are a multimeter that can read ohms (?), and a 2mm screwdriver. The ”Pot” adjustments will be very small, moving it a hair can make a big difference. We want to make small adjustments. We use small adjustments and then read the changed resistance with a multimeter after every adjustment.
    Don’t just crank you laser diode down to 3K?!! lower it by .2K? to .5K? increments, and then test until the disks that once gave you reading issues no longer do.
    Do not attempt to do this tweak without a multimeter! You have to measure your adjustments! Remember the purpose of this tweak is to extend the usable life of your Xbox 360 DVD drive. Do not risk blowing the laser diode in the first 15 min of using a game in it. That would defeat the purpose of this tweak.
    All the dials that adjust the DVD laser and pots are located on the left, (refer to the pictures) and will be the same when you are physically looking at them.
    Measure resistance with a multimeter between the two spots that are marked in red.
    Set the multimeter to 20K?.
    Turn only the dials that are circled in red!!

All drives are different and no 2 drives will have the same base resistance on the DVD pot.
    Most drives I’ve seen have seem to be factory set at anywhere between 4K? to 6.4K?.
    I highly recommend not lowering the resistance to your DVD laser diode below 3K?, this is the lowest resistance that is safe before you risk blowing the diode out in a very short amount of time.
    Take note to what way I instruct to turn the pot to decrease the resistance value of the pot. It differs between Liteon/Benq and Hitachi/Samsung
    Lowering the resistance value of the pot increases the power of the laser, but may shorten the lifespan of the laser if done aggressively
    All Drives DVD pots are located on the left in the pictures, and will be the same when you are physically looking at them.
    Liteon/Benq laser Pots are accessed from the top of the drive, Ejecting the tray before tweaking will make this easier.
    Hitachi/Samsung laser pots are accessed from the bottom of the drive, you will have to remove the circuit board to tweak these.

V.I.P
    Thanks

After pot tweaking my drive only reads my originals but not backups (xgd2 or 3 and its just been reflashed) ordered a new laser will that fix it or is there other things that could be wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stmem View Post
    After pot tweaking my drive only reads my originals but not backups (xgd2 or 3 and its just been reflashed) ordered a new laser will that fix it or is there other things that could be wrong?
    a new laser will work..
    FEEL FREE TO DONATE AND HELP SUPPORT WITH THE COST OF KEEPING THIS GREAT FORUM GOING..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgenx For This Useful Post:

stmem (09-30-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks

New laser arrived (but had no anti static ball, emailed the seller to see if it was intact new, came in anti static bag and the box.

New laser fitted and reading originals no problem but still not reading my backups, not a major issue just more annoying than anything lol is there anything else it can be

Thanks

I've never had a new 360 or ps3 laser, they all say they're new but none are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to riget For This Useful Post:

stmem (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 566 Posts

If it aint reading your back ups,then check your burns.
    Dose it have the correct firmware on it.
    What dose it say when you put a back up in.
    FEEL FREE TO DONATE AND HELP SUPPORT WITH THE COST OF KEEPING THIS GREAT FORUM GOING..

V.I.P
    Thanks

Tried a couple of backups one reads unrecognised (normally bad burn) but sometimes it reads open tray. I auto loaded the firmware so assumed its correct. Other backups except that one all read open tray

Thanks

Have you tried to pot the new! laser.

V.I.P
    Thanks

Na didn't try that, will try a new burn and see how it goes then will tweak the new one

Thanks

If that's your error its the new laser. As above a majority are reconditioned.

Look at the lense does it have a blue tint to it? New laser should be clear...

Check what reading the new laser is giving with a multimeter.

You could tweak it but shouldn't really have to. Problem is some sellers want them back to test and it costs nearly as much to return as the price of a laser